SWRHA chairman: Delay in Charge Triggers medical waste Backup

Chairman of the South West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) Dr Lackram Bodoe said a back-up of medical waste at the San Fernando General Hospital had to do with a delay in payment to a contractor Rather than the malfunctioning of This incinerator.

Responding to complaints about the risks posed by the gathered medical waste, which included amputated limbs, needles, and bloodstained items, Bodoe promised the $9 million incinerator installed annually has been working well.

He said it had been permitted to collect because daily paid workers refused to work on Tuesday.

Discussing with members of the media at SWRHA’s symposium on leadership at the Southern Academy of Performing Arts on Wednesday, Bodoe stated:

“I want to give the assurance that the incinerator itself is still working well.

“This was a brand new incinerator that was set up last year and the problem had to do with a builder who was supposed to remove the crap and there was a delay of funding and that’s what created a temporary situation ”

Asked how soon the problem will be rectified, he said:”I’ve just been given the assurance by the CEO that the issue has been dealt with as we speak, so I anticipate by the end of the afternoon it’ll be sorted out.”

In addition, Bodoe stated the SWRHA was also contemplating introducing a new type of technology, called the radio wave technology for incineration, which was more air friendly.

But a Public Service Association representative, who wished to remain anonymous, stated the incinerator was breaking down on a regular basis since it was set up last year and was not working at this time.

“They had to revert to the older incinerator and that’s dangerous and unhealthy to individuals operating that incinerator.

He said workers took the action on Tuesday because since last week they were assured that the garbage problem could have been sorted out.